Attention: Authors, Kindle authors, speakers, and experts… it’s time to talk about talking about your book. You’ve come to the right place!
Oftentimes as authors we are bombarded with a zillion suggestions from well-meaning marketing folks. Authors tend to be new when it comes to marketing (and maybe even writing) a book, and it’s natural to want to try most of the fun ideas. What I found, however, is that many of those highly-touted things flat out don’t work for most new non-fiction authors. So how are we supposed to sell more books?
Do you really need a publicist, for instance? What about all those press releases that cost a lot of money? Here’s a secret from my PR pro insider pal — back when Oprah was on TV daily, not even the non-fiction authors who got on her show as guest experts sold even close to just 10,000 books with their appearance. And that was in front of Oprah’s millions of audience members just waiting for her to tell them what to buy next. (Because the secret is, she wasn’t telling her audience to buy any specific non-fiction books like she did with her Book Club, which was all fiction-based). So if the juggernaut that was The Oprah Show wasn’t a good tool for marketing your book… what is?
It’s sad authors invest in the many courses on marketing your book which offer bunches of expensive marketing techniques that turn out to be a huge waste of time and money. And worse, leave you confused about how to get it all DONE and taken care of.
All of this could leave you feeling:
- Frustrated that you’re working and working and just not getting ahead.
- Overwhelmed with all the “must do” options and not sure where to begin and what to do next with ANY of them.
- Lonely because there’s no one in your “real” life who’s ever done something like this and you have no one to turn to for guidance, advice, and a helping hand.
Many authors don’t realize it, but whether you’re a self-published author or going a more traditional route, the dirty little secret of the publishing world is that YOU are responsible for marketing and advertising your book. The buck stops with you. And even if you have a publisher, remember, as the author it’s your ultimate responsibility to make sure your message gets out to the people who most need to know it to improve their lives.
Listen, some publishers will promise you the world when it comes to book promotion and they will deliver what they can–but you cannot sit back and wait for your book to hit the bestsellers list: you must work the promotion game for yourself.
And if you’re going the route of self-publishing, which is smart for first-time authors, you can save a lot of money by being smart about marketing your book too.
Today authors need to be in charge of their own destiny. Even if you’re signed with a large publishing firm, you still need to be active in marketing your book. And this includes preparing a marketing plan – with speaking as the cornerstone – from even before the book is published.
Here are the types of speaking you can use to market your book:
- Book signings
- Interviews for print and online articles
- Radio and TV interviews
- Keynote speeches
- Book clubs
- Training programs
- Book readings
Here’s what publisher and author Kristen Joy has to say about this program:
What if you had just ONE tool that you KNEW could work? And what if you had everything you needed to know about that ONE tool gathered together for you in one place, laid out in an easy-to-follow step-by-step formula that gave you time and space to IMPLEMENT right then and there so you could get it all done? And what if you could do it FAST– like in 2 days fast? You’d sell more books, that’s what!
That’s exactly what using your Signature Speech (TM) for your book can help you do.
You see… as an author like you, I’ve been through this myself. I know what’s required and I discovered what it takes to deliver a speech that will sell out your books at the back of the room (I’ve done it myself time and again!).
A successful launch day is fun, for sure, but it’s the sales that keep coming, day after day, week after week, month after month and year after year that bring you a steady stream of new, warm leads into your business and help you sell more products and services for more and more money.
See, I’ve done this before. But not only that, I AM DOING IT NOW for my own book. The one question you always want to ask anyone before you plunk down your hard-earned cash is, “Are you doing what you’re teaching right now, yourself today?” And if they are not, then you need to ask yourself, if their system is so fantabulous, why aren’t they using it themselves??
That’s the problem I see with many of the so-called speaker trainers and book coaches out there. Sure, maybe 5 or 10 or 15 (!) years ago they wrote a book or delivered a speech about their book, but all their riches NOW come from teaching other people on a wing and prayer that their possibly outdated system and information can still maybe work for some people today. Don’t be sucked in by the glitz and the hype.
What’s worse is, there are even some folks teaching outdated information who simply and sadly just don’t care about their customers. Only their customers’ cash. And if you don’t get anything done or don’t make any money on it, then too bad so sad for you. Thanks for your moola. I hope you haven’t been taken in by anyone like that. I confess, I have been ripped off myself. It’s not fun.
I don’t do business like that. And in fact, if you’re not happy, I work with you until you ARE happy!
So to answer the question am I doing this now, not only have I sold out of books at the back of the room after delivering my own Signature Speech (TM) for years, the FIRST TIME I delivered a brand new speech for my Kill the Elevator Speech book (in fact I was on script even!) I sold books that did not yet exist because the book was not fully written. I had an image of the cover, but I used the speech and my audience interaction to propel myself into writing the book! After delivering the speech, less than a week later I had double the content than I did before delivering the speech. So in essence I had people PAYING ME to write my next book, excitedly waiting for the book to be done. When it launched - guess what? Instant #1 book! (I’ll show you how to do that too!)
In February 2012, I launched my second book and before Noon on launch day it was an Amazon best-seller in 5 categories and stayed #1 in several of those categories for over a week. I made several thousand dollars from that book launch, not from the sales of the book, but from what I did AFTER — and I used speaking to do it.
Beyond doing this for myself, I am the creator of the original trade-marked Signature Speech (TM) Mastery Program where I have taught thousands of experts and entrepreneurs since 2007 around the world how to put together a speech to market a service-oriented business.
Before that I was a speech and communication teacher at some of the most prestigious institutions in the Chicago area, having taught and coached thousands of students in more than a decade of direct hands-on work. I’ve helped students outline complete 5-10 minute speeches in about 20 minutes flat. And that’s how I know I can help you too.
I’ve been helping people meet their speaking goals for years:
This program was recorded over a 2-day virtual event with everything recorded, so you’re getting access to ALL of it immediately. What you’re getting is a unique, easy-to-follow 5-Step System for creating your Signature Speech(TM). And this is what you’ll discover:
Organization and Content Planning AND Implementation:
- How to craft your book and your speech so they easily “go” together.
- The differences between your book and your speech content and how to integrate both seamlessly into the other so your audiences want to buy your book and your readers want to hear you speak.
- How to write your speech first and how to make the book flow from that.
- How to get the book written QUICKLY and make money after you’ve created and delivered your speech.
- Adding your specific process, information, or other content that makes your book and speech UNIQUE and stand out in the marketplace.
- 6 Ways to stand out in the marketplace and be UNIQUE in a noisy world.
- The 3 crucial elements you MUST understand about your audience before you even get started preparing one word.
- PowerPoint or no PowerPoint — that is the question (and it will be answered!).
- How to use and incorporate props for fun and audience engagement.
- Exactly how to start your speech off with a bang! We’re talking the mother of all attention-getters here, not some lame-o “Who wants to make more money” malarkey.
- Figuring out Plan B and how to handle problems that arise moments before you speak and while you might even be on stage. You’ll be cool as a cucumber when the inevitable problems arise because you’ll have a plan.
- What to do and say to engage the audience and keep them interested and on the edge of their seats throughout your presentation.
- Eliminating your stage fright so you can get your message out there. I promise, by the end of this program you will magically feel exponentially more confident in speaking about your book.
- How to give your speech the biggest possible impact – including in the room AND beyond.
- How to make money on your book before it is ever written.
- 3 crucial elements you MUST understand about your audience before you even get started preparing one word.
- How to make money on your book after it is written, no matter how long it’s been published, and even without a list of buyers.
- How understanding your market, both readers and ideal clients will get you to faster income and a specific plan to get that done quickly.
- Opportunities to sell your book by the hundreds or more in ways you never even imagined.
- How to seed the sale of your book and other products and services throughout your speech without coming off as a pushy, manipulative sales person.
- Title creativity: how to come up with a winning title that intrigues and sells the book and the speech. (Note: the speech title and book title can be the same or different. We’ll discuss how and why so you know what is best for YOU!).
- The simple strategy you can use to make 2 sales to the same person with 1 book by delivering your speech before your book is ever written.
- How to get sponsors for your book, book tour, book launch, speaking engagements and more using my top tips to get sponsors with money to say YES to you!
You might be wondering at this point how Signature Speech(TM) for Authors is different than my original Signature Speech (TM) program. I mean, lots of online marketers take their same old tried-and-true stuff and simply repackage it as something else. While there is some overlap on basic speaking techniques and getting past the fear, THIS program represents about 85% entirely unique content (because speech basics are important, after all!) and:
- …is specifically about you as an author.
- …helps you put together a speech directly related to your book with the purpose of selling more books.
- …goes far beyond basic speaking as a marketing technique to FOCUS on book authors like you only.
- …is the most grounded, practical, actionable course ever created on public speaking specifically for authors to sell more books.
- …goes beyond the how-to and actually builds in the time and space to GET IT DONE (something I’ve never offered before!).
The biggest challenge I’ve noticed over my years of teaching the Signature Speech(TM) is people who join my 6-week program are excited to get started, but then life happens, they get busy, and sometimes they never get the speech done and working for them.
That makes me so sad.
Because I KNOW from my loads of success stories that having and delivering a Signature Speech(TM) works every time to help you reach your goals. So here’s what I’m gonna do about it:
I’ve decided to make it super easy for you to commit and get your speech DONE!!!
If you follow the original schedule, you can spend 2 full days going through the content from beginning to end watching the webinar replays on your computer — and you can take breaks in between the content to actually DO THE WORK. Because look what happens when you do the work:
Here’s the schedule I suggest you follow for yourself for this virtual self-guided training:
My pledge to you:
I promise during this program you will not feel like a fish out of water because I’m teaching it in layman’s terms so that everyone can understand it, follow along, and take action without being overwhelmed at all!!
What’s more is this course helps you develop a new way to think and see marketing opportunities. So while we’re talking about speaking to sell more books, you can bet there will be loads of other tips and strategies — all designed to be efficient and cost-effective for the highest possible ROI.
Speaking of highest possible ROI– let’s talk dollars and sense (yes that’s the “sense” I mean to use. Because if you don’t have a speech to market your book, really, THAT doesn’t make sense!).
Think about it: how many times have you already been asked about your book? Didn’t you have to answer BY TALKING?? This is what I’m saying. When you have a speech to market your book, you won’t ever have to fumble for words again. You’re ready to speak confidently anytime at a moment’s notice.
In determining what to charge for this program, I’ve seen all kinds of prices on similar things. Folks are charging anywhere from $1,000 – $10,000 for the caliber of results you’ll be getting in this program. In fact, it won’t be long before I offer this same program in a live weekend format for multiple thousands of dollars. Yes, really. And the regular price is $497. But for you, right now, you’re getting this amazing program for 3 easy payments of $99 each. It will go up when I offer it again.
So you might be wondering why I’m teaching this course for such a ridiculously affordable rate. It’s simple. After speaking for a group of authors recently, I realized I could help them with something. This week, in my morning business meeting with God, the message was loud and clear: TELL THEM ABOUTTHIS PROGRAM AND GIVE THEM A DEAL. So here we are.
You will get more out of this class than you can imagine; others did and you will too. In fact, I guarantee it. Not in a money back way, but in a time back way: If I don’t deliver exactly what I promised in the bullets above on this very page, send me a note and I’ll set you up with 2 private sessions to work with me so we can get your speech done and you’re happy with your whole experience. Sound good? I thought so!
Look, this isn’t theory–you’ll discover exactly what has worked for other authors and publishers, and how to make it work for you.
I’m sorry to tell you, but you will find Signature Speech (TM) for Authors does NOT contain some magic pixie dust that will instantly make your book a best seller. If you’re willing to actually implement what you discover, however, you’ll find enough to keep yourself busy – and your book selling — for years.
You also won’t get:
- …A course that tries to tell you so much that it doesn’t tell you enough. We’re diving deep here with everything you need to know about speaking and your book.
- …Overwhelmed with too many ideas and directions. I’m all about helping you focus and get this thing done and working for you FAST.
- …Poorly organized or fragmented info. As a former college professor for more than a decade and with a master’s degree in training and development, I know how to design a course and teach it so it just makes sense and is easy to follow.
Yes, there are other courses on how authors can sell more books. And of course there are plenty of courses on speaking. And even a few on speaking to market a business (I offer one of those myself – the best in the business, I’d say, but I may be biased!). But there is NO OTHER COURSE, to my knowledge, that offers a done-right-now program to specifically build speaking skills to sell more books taught by a successful professional speaker/speaker trainer and author of multiple books. You’ll get that here… nothing more than you need, nothing less. Because of that, this course will help you immensely.
This program on it’s own is powerful. You don’t NEED anything else to be successful. However, given that I have a vault of awesome content that would be helpful to authors and am connected to some seriously amazing people, YOU get some goodies just for signing up. Here they are:
Bonus 1: Cover art interview with Tony Laidig
Tony Laidig is best known online as THE expert on finding and using public domain images and content for profit. But most people don’t have any idea how he got to learn so much about public domain. It was in his days as a professional book cover designer that he needed to stretch his publisher boss’s dollar while he designed more than 1,200 book covers during the span of his career. Tony is a close personal friend and has agreed to share some of his secrets and best ideas around creating book covers that sell. Folks LOVED this bonus last time, as Tony shared a lot of nitty gritty tips!
Bonus 2: Access to my Speaker-Author Telesummit with 3 Expert Publisher Interviews
Last summer, I hosted a telesummit where I interviewed 3 experts in the publishing world all about different ways you can get your book published and into the world in a physical format. You’ll get immediate access to each of these interviews with awesome tips on the types of publishing available to authors today. I learned something new on each call and I think you will too!
Join Today – Start Immediately!!
Don’t repeat the mistakes so many other authors have made, trying a little bit of this and a little bit of that and selling no books at all. Use the ONE technique that marketing experts everywhere tout as being the BEST way to sell more books, feeling confident you’re getting it right!
Whether you are a published writer or want to become a published writer, you WILL be asked to speak about your book. When you know what to say, how to say it, and where to say it, you’ll be that much farther ahead when the time comes — and greater opportunities will be there for you.
Register Right Here – Regularly: $497
Now Only 3 Payments of $99 Each
I can’t wait to see your Signature Speech (TM) for your book DONE!!! Woo-hoo!!
To your speaking success,
Felicia J. Slattery, M.A., M.Ad.Ed.
PS Listen, you’re going to be asked to speak about your book. You might as well be ready with your speech and your confidence ready to roll! Grab this exclusive program, designed just for authors like you, and you’ll only have to spend 2 intense days getting your speech DONE.