Wow! The response I’ve been getting to my 4th quarter challenge has been amazing! Yay for you if you’re joining me by publicly announcing that “you’re in” on my previous blog post or if you’re silently following along. Whatever you do… just take some action and git ‘er done!!
Today I’m sharing with you a strategy I want us to use to help keep focus and get more done — possibly in less time. I call it my 15 Minute Sprint.
Now I will share with you, this idea is not mine entirely, although I did grab the hashtag for Twitter :-). If you’re following me on Twitter you’ll see where I announce I’m getting ready for a #15MinSprint. And then when to begin.
Here are the simple rules:
- Grab a timer. I use my iPhone because I always have it with me. You can use a kitchen timer, your cell phone, whatever is handy — set it for 15 minutes.
- Turn off ALL distractions. During this 15 minutes you are to focus on 1 TASK ONLY!! That’s it. Just the one. That means no email, no Tweetdeck (I know who you are!), no phone calls. FOCUS on your 1 project. I mean, really, it’s only 15 minutes. The world can wait.
- Be accountable. Share with us here on the blog that you’re doing your #15MinSprint. Or share with your Twitter followers. I’ll be creating a special column for #15MinSprint-ers so I can track for you and cheer you on!
- Plan only 3 #15MinSprint sessions per hour. Why? Because you need to take a break occasionally. We work at home for goodness sakes! Get a cuppa tea or coffee, read your email, tweet, chit chat with a girlfriend, throw in a load of laundry… whatever you want to do. But don’t plan more than 3 #15MinSprint sessions per hour. Trust me. With those 3 — in 2 hours you’ll get done more than you have in a day other times!
- Organize Your Day. As you look at your list of to-dos prioritize what you need to get done and then make sure you do those things. Have no more than 3-5 “need to dos” for the day. Then add an extra “would be nice to do” — something like cleaning out your inbox, filing, sorting thru a pile on your desk, etc. Even if you don’t get the full task done, you’ll be amazed what can happen with just 15 minutes!
Ok– so those are the rules. Simple, right? I wrote this post in during a #15MinSprint. What will you do with yours? Comment below & go go go!!!